PickledCherub

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

 

Refrigerator Soup!

So yesterday I made this zuchinni and parsley soup with garlic and thai basil and roasted chile peppers. Lindsay thought it was too hot for her, but it was milder than the roasted garlic spinach tomato soup I made last week. This soup, yesterday's soup, started out by cleaning out my fridge and taking out all of the vegetables that weren't carrots or cucmbers or tomatoes (I always think that there's a salad to be made). I put two garlic cloves in my soup pot in about four tablespoons of olive oil, then added one chopped white onion, about three cups of chopped (half-inch) zuchinni, a bunch of finely chopped parsley, and a lot, about ten leaves, of thai basil. I also was roasting some chile peppers, but I don't recommend you use those if you don't want it to be hot. I let it cook for a while, but since there was so much stuff in the pot, I felt a compulsion to stir it every minute or so. I came up with a good name for this recipe: "Refrigerator Soup." It cooked for about ten minutes, then I added five cups of water and two teaspoons of salt, turned up the heat (from med-high to high), and waited for it to boil. I let it boil for fifteen minutes and took it off the stove. Chris wanted me to walk up to Hawthorne with him so that he could get his glasses fixed, but I wanted to wait around while my soup cooled. When it was warm enough to handle, into the blender it went, about five batches it took. The soup turned out to be a lovely creamy green color. "Hey," I told Lindsay. "This soup is vegan!" I added some lime juice. We ate the soup with some toast and salt and pepper. Lindsay and Chris added sour cream.

I could've used cilantro instead of parsley, and then just put a little bit of parsley in at the end as a garnish. But I didn't have cilantro and I had all of this goddam parsley, and who knows what to do with parsley anyway. The soup is just as good cold as it is hot, so it's a good summer time soup, for the late summer when you don't know if you're going to wear a hoodie or a tank, so you wear both. It's a soup that's like layering.

Then, for dinner, I made garlic green bean and cheddar sandwiches. Yum!

Life is going alright, otherwise. Watched Human Nature last night. Conan is back on, and the Olympics are over!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

February 2004   March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   June 2010   July 2010  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]