PickledCherub

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

 
Time is tick tick ticking away as I prepare to return to the homeland, the fatherland, the birthplace of all things inherently Amy: Long Island. I have just begun to say that I'm from Long Island instead of saying New York. I switched to saying New York when I moved out West because most people don't immediately know where Long Island is, or they have these awful misconceptions about my amniotic environment. But now I relish in smashing the Long Island stereotypes by admitting, up-front, where I am from. Also, I think Dorothy Grambell, the creator of Cat and Girl has inspired me to accept the Long Island in me. Claire always makes an issue of how East Coast my behavior is--meaning that I'm initially rude to almost everyone I meet. I find it charming. Conversely, she is always shocked that I can strike up conversations with strangers who are much older than me, such as our adventure at the Hedge House with Pat, Cindy, and their six-month old Stephanie.

So, it's back to Long Island, back to my grandparents' old house that my brother took over after they died. The house is in New Hyde Park, two blocks from Queens. The only things within walking distance are the train station (LIRR), one mile, the drugstore Genovese and the grocery store Edwards, two blocks in the Old Navy shopping center, the Dress Barn, about a mile, and the Greek diner, five blocks. My great uncle's old house is about five blocks away, too. Alex said that there's a bar down the street that we can walk to, so I'm sure, I'm hoping, that me and the bro will go get wasted in a local dive.

The town I grew up in, Smithtown, is a forty-five minute drive (give or take 15 minutes) from the New Hyde Park house. Every time I've gone back to see it, to see the old tromping grounds--the Friendly's and Nick's Pizza and the Protestant Graveyard, I feel a bit nauseous. The house itself looks really nice, a lot nicer than when it was just me and mom and we didn't have the time or money to landscape or install new fancy-pants doors. Though we did take down a lot of walls and put new ones up. Frankly, a lot of stuff went down in that house that I'd rather forget about.

Well, in other news, I got into a Masters Program at U Chicago: Masters in Humanities. It's a year-long program. I don't know . . . I don't know if that's the path I want to take right now, but there are some cool tracks in the program: Film Studies, Writing, Classics, Language, Education. It's a relief to get in somewhere, and I don't know if I'm so into Comp Lit anymore. I'd rather be an anthropologist and scrutinize people. Find out how they're different.

Watched the Michel Gondry DVD last night--wasn't so much interested in the videos as the short films. We're a lot alike, Michel Gondry and I: we both make movies, we both drum, we both are obsessed with our childhoods.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

February 2004   March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   June 2010   July 2010  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]